Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Headin' South

A couple of months ago, my original Sensei, Mike Belzer (a.k.a. Malasia Mike, a.k.a. Menkyo Mike, a.k.a. Butch the Mugger) told me that he and his brother Steve would be heading back to competition.

Many years earlier (more than forty), Steve and Mike (along with their father, Bob) had been students at the famed Penmar Judo Kai under the late James Marcinkus. While there, the brothers were well-known as laser-sharp technicians at kata competitions. They often took honors with their partners Geoff Kyron (Steve) and Dave Marcinkus (Mike) and sometimes partnering with each other. Their performances contributed to the notoriety of the Penmar dojo. But that was long ago.

When I heard that the Belzer brothers would be competing at the Kenshokan "Summer Slam" (hosted by Sensei Greg Poretz), I knew I had to be there. In fact, I plan on driving down there in the next day and attend one of their practices prior to the event. To be sure, I will have a camera or two to capture and archive images of this historic event.

For those interested in attending this contest, see the following flyer:

http://www.burbankjujitsu.com/Dojo_News_files/summer_slam_packet_final.pdf

I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment